I remember few months earlier before this severe flooding which yet happen again as an annual disaster celebration in this capital city, I saw a lady threw a trash bag into a river which already covered by aging garbage and other waste.

Such an annoying scene but sadly I didn't do anything to stop her spoiling the river… Do I care - Do they care - Does government care... about the impact of our action to destroy the earth? I guess not – we are so ignorant and we let things happen then after that blames others to our lost.

Look at this reality: Severe flooding paralyzed the Indonesian capital and economy for few days; it has killed numbers of people; it welcomes diseases; many people become homeless and jobless; we are crying for help and pathetic government boast media that exposed this mess; and yet on other side of the city developers bulldoze green areas to build new complex development, businessmen raze the forest to the ground to get benefits from illegal lodging, capitalist just busy to drill things which are not theirs, and we keep littering the ground…

Tried to change the TV programs but nothing else but flooding. I browsed the internet but it led me to the even boring subject: global warming. I tried to be more civilized by putting aside my ego on how to well-off myself and connected to the whole catastrophe that happen on earth recently such as this severe flooding in Indonesia and Australia, Hurricane Katrina, the raised of sea level, the often occur of droughts and wildfires and many more issues which could get worse that roll me up to questions: has the global warming taken its place? Will the consequence get worse? What I have done wrong to contribute this clutter?

Al Gore has good things to say in his campaign to battle the effects of global warming: An Inconvenient Truth …all of these things are happening at the same time because through various means people are seeing a new reality. The relationship between our civilization and the earth has been radically transformed. Global warming is by far the most serious manifestation of the collision, and Mother Nature is making the evidence ever more obvious…

I think he is right; we are so mean and don’t realize that we are sitting on a ticking time bomb and do nothing about it.

I believe (read: I hope) government has an agenda and action plans for this issues – and for me, I need to start with getting up from my not so comfortable sofa in front of TV, followed by posting a blog of this environmental issues, apply energy efficiency on my daily activities that can lower greenhouse gas emissions, perhaps buy products made from recycled materials and tell my friends about this issues – once my moral challenge is fixed, hopefully good wills would follow.

1 comments:

very stressful, let's go green!

19 April 2010 at 07:01  

Newer Post Older Post Home

Blogger Template by Blogcrowds